** EVENT CANCELLED **
In view of the uncertainty surrounding the corona virus pandemic, Worksop Harriers have decided to cancel this year’s Worksop Halloween Half Marathon, scheduled for Sunday, 25th October, 2020.
The Half Marathon committee feel strongly that the health and safety of runners, volunteers, supporters and all of our associated friends and families, should not be put at risk by holding such a large event at this time. In addition, with local ‘lockdowns’ starting to become the norm, there is also the financial implication of awarding costly contracts without receiving the necessary revenue to pay for them. The committee has delayed making this decision as long as possible in the hope that conditions would improve to allow the event to proceed, but there are still far too many uncertainties and risks to permit any other conclusion.
Clearly we are disappointed that our well supported event will not take place in 2020 but rest assured, it is our intention to plan for the next Worksop Halloween Half Marathon in the coming months. This will take place on Sunday, 31st October, 2021, taking on board all of the necessary guidelines and information that is likely to be generated by that time.
For those of you who have already entered this year, two options are currently available:
- Simply defer your entry until next year (this could be a cost effective option as entry fees for future races are likely to increase, following the national impact of the corona virus)
- Retain your entry and transfer it to another runner, next year, if you are unable to take part in 2021 (no additional costs will be incurred in doing this and the new entrant can pay you your original entry fee directly)
All current entrants will also be contacted directly by our Entries Secretary within the next few days with further details regarding these options.
We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time and hope to see you next year.
The Worksop Half Marathon Team
2020 Worksop Half Marathon & Fun Run Event Information
Half Marathon 10:00am
Fun Run 10:15am
All race numbers and timing chips are to be collected on or before the day. PLEASE NOTE: No information will be sent out in the post. Collection desks will be open from 08:00am on race day at Outwood Academy Portland. Please follow the clearly marked one way system in operation to avoid congestion inside the school. There is NO parking on site so please allow yourself plenty of time to walk from where you are parked. You are not required to bring anything to the registration desk, simply check your number beforehand and go to the appropriate collection desk.
If it's convenient for you and you would like to collect your number on Saturday, the registration desks will be open in the sports hall (back door) at Outwood Academy Portland from 12noon - 3.00p.m. Please make sure you know your race number, which can be found on the Half Marathon website. There will be no vehicular access onto the school site from Sparken Hill, but feel free to park nearby and walk in. The registration desks will then reopen at 8.00 a.m. on Sunday morning.
If you are collecting a number on behalf of a friend, please have a copy of their confirmation with you.
Check your race number here:
Both route maps and an elevation map can be found here: 2020 Course Maps
Start/Finish: Outwood Academy Portland
Spectator information can be found here
The Worksop Halloween Fun Run is approximately 3km and is buggy friendly (depending on recent weather). The course can be found here: Course Maps. Entry is £5.00 and the race starts at 10:15am. All finishers will receive a medal. The safety of our runners is extremely important to us, so we would please ask that any child under the age of 8 is accompanied by an adult. Dogs will not be allowed to accompany runners for safety reasons. Fancy dress is hugely encouraged for this event ... nothing like the Grim Reaper chasing you to help you run a little bit faster!
Changing Facilities and Toilets:
There will be changing facilities and toilets located at Outwoood Academy Portland. There will also be additional outdoor toilets provided at the start/finish area. There will be no toilets on the course itself.
Charity Bag Drop Area:
Runners are able to leave their baggage within the Charity Baggage Area, kindly organised by JOEL, prior to the race beginning. It will be clearly signed. JOEL will be very grateful if you are able to make a small donation as you drop off/pick up your bag. Please expect to queue to drop/collect your baggage during peak times. Please ensure you have everything you need before dropping your bag as reclaiming it again before the start of the race causes delays. Please attach the tear off strip on your race number to your bag before handing it in. You MUST produce your race number to retrieve your bag after the race.
Please click here for parking locations. There is NO parking at Outwood Academy Portland. It is your responsibility to get to the race on time. Please plan your journey before you set off and whatever mode of transport you use, allow extra time for delays or congestion. We suggest you aim to arrive at the event venue where the race starts no later than 09.00. to avoid peak time queues. We suggest you familiarise yourself with the car parks around Worksop and have a contingency in place in case your chosen car park is full. Where possible, please car share. Please do not use the postcode for Outwood Academy in your sat nav or attempt to park there as you will be turned away. No parking is available at the school for runners or fun runners. If street parking, please be courteous to residents and do not block driveways or park across corners. It would be advisable to bring some change with you as some of the car parks to charge on Sundays. Details of road closures can be found in the resident's letter here
Drinks and Sponge Stations:
There will be 3 drinks stations (issued in cups) and one sponge station located throughout the course. Bottled water (in 100% recyclable bottles) will also be provided at the finish.
The prize giving will take place at 1pm. This will be at the side of the Academy near the canteen area. A full prize list can be found on our homepage.
Food and Trade Vendors:
- The Lincolnshire Runner - specialising in running shoes, clothing & accessories.
- Sherwood Fired Pizza - offering 10 inch pizza baked in 2 mins.
- Sunshine Coffee and Bakes - offering coffee and baked goods. Bacon/ Breakfast choices offered by various local caterers
- Dave & Julie's Tea/coffe and cake stall in aid of PACT
- Spud Buddies - filled jacket potatoes.
- Madame Crêpe - freshly made crêpes.
- Big Bobble hats
- Various Charity organisations
- There will be NO half marathon entries or transfers on the day. We will only be taking entries on the day for the Fun Run.
- The cut-off time for the Half Marathon is 3hrs 15mins.
- The minimum age on race day for the Half Marathon is 17 years old.
- For safety reasons, due to the large number of competitors both races attract, dogs will NOT be allowed to accompany runners in the Half Marathon or Fun Run. Buggies and pushchairs are also NOT allowed for the Half Marathon.
- Do not cut or fold your race number. Please pin it to the front of your vest/t-shirt with four pins.
- Emergency contact numbers and name(s), along with any medical conditions must be written on the back of your race number in the spaces provided.
- We strongly advise against wearing headphones or using ipods/smartphones etc during the race. Runners do so at their own risk. If you choose to use such equipment, we please ask that you be vigilant at all times and to please turn the devices off before the start of the race so that you are able to hear any announcements.
- If you are no longer able to take part, please see our Refunds and Cancellation Policy.